The nineteen hundreds saw many families worship
in the "Birch River United Church" which had it's
beginning around 1928. These were very special times and also
very hard ones. A place of worship was very important to the
lonely pioneers. The little white church was replaced with
a larger new sanctuary in 1964. Worship services, weddings,
baptisms and many special events were held there. In March
of 1991 our place of worship was nearly burnt down. Everyone
rallied around and with hard work and God's guidance the church
was rebuilt. We again had a church for all to worship in.
Our services, led by Rev. Kathy Highmoor (of
20 years), add to the meaning of life. Christmas programs,
picnics with the young Sunday school children bring joy to
the young and old alike. Our Pianist of forty years is Mary
Her dedication has inspired us all. Bible study,
confirmation classes, visitation, choirs coffee after church,
special community seminars are all part of the church.
Projects which help the church survive include;
a Spring Smorg, Soup & Bun Luncheons, Strawberry Shortcake
& Cream Puff Teas, Bake and Garage Sales and Fowl suppers.
The congregation over the last 100 years has
tried to work and serve within the community. The Birch River United Church closed on Decmeber 31, 2009.